Bottled Apfelwein - sediment or...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim-wy

Reaction score
I made my first batch of Apfelwein and buried it in our pantry to age for holiday sharing. I pulled out a bottle after a couple of months and saw some colonies of stuff on the bottom. I think it's either some sediment from the apples or yeast slurry but would like to know if anybody can identify this. I hope I haven't ruined my first batch - I'm pretty careful about sanitation.

Input appreciated - Thanks!
Jim

http://www.wyjim.com/Images/IMG_8622_Apfelwein.jpg

Looks yummy. Probably just residual particles from the apples that have gotten stuck together. You could have yeast in with the sediment too, helping it clump like that.

Thanks Leadgolem - I bet you're right on the apple particles / possible yeast. You're definitely right on the 'Yummy', I popped a cork and it was delicious! I think the glass emphasized the sediment because it didn't look bad at all when poured in a glass. I'll be making this again! A big thanks to Ed Wort for this fantastic recipe!

Still - if anybody has bottled Apfelwein with this same result I would be interested to know. Before moving the bottle it looks pretty disturbing - not something I will be passing out at Christmas... not this batch anyway.

No - I certainly can't see any bubbles. It does have a flavor that I can't name, I want to say either 'green' or possibly 'champagne', which does make me wonder if your yeast theory could be it. If it multiplies I'll really be concerned - but now I'm hoping it's just greedy racking and I pulled in some slurry. I was (am) thrilled about the novelty of this quick / easy brew. My other carboy has a cherry wine I've been racking since December, so I'm going the patient route with that one. Need more carboys :D

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Jim

Latest posts

Back