First Lager,Did I do GOOD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
Munich Helles, AG, 14 days at 52F, 2 days at 60F, slowly lowered to 39 or so for 30 days. 3.7% ABV.

It has just a little malt taste, barely a hint of the hallertaur.........It tastes good, don't get me wrong, but is this it?

No hint of fruitiness(my percieved sign of a "bad" job), and not a whole lot of flavor period. Is this what is meant by "crisp and clean" ?

I like it fine, and it pleases SWMBO, and it will please my less beer savvy feriends.

Good for a first Lager. I have since jumped right into a Marzen(Iknow I know it is only Jan.) I am curious to see how it turns out, but it will be a while.

I guess I like more flavorful beers.(or did I screw this one up somehow?)

cheezydemon said:
Munich Helles, AG, 14 days at 52F, 2 days at 60F, slowly lowered to 39 or so for 30 days. 3.7% ABV.

It has just a little malt taste, barely a hint of the hallertaur.........It tastes good, don't get me wrong, but is this it?

No hint of fruitiness(my percieved sign of a "bad" job), and not a whole lot of flavor period. Is this what is meant by "crisp and clean" ?

I like it fine, and it pleases SWMBO, and it will please my less beer savvy feriends.

Good for a first Lager. I have since jumped right into a Marzen(Iknow I know it is only Jan.) I am curious to see how it turns out, but it will be a while.

I guess I like more flavorful beers.(or did I screw this one up somehow?)

What'd your recipe look like? As a general rule, lighter lagers like Helles don't have a whole lot of flavor or aroma jumping out at ya. They are characterized by clean, crisp profiles without esters, phenolics or sappiness. I'd say it's spot-on for a helles---but just remember, in the future, lagers are lagers because they're clean...so don't go into a Pilsner looking for a barleywine. So, yeah, post your recipe and I'll check it out.

8 lbs pale 2 row
2 lbs belgian pilsner
.75 oz Tett, 1 oz Hallertaur

Mashed in at 150 for 60 minutes

Boiled 60 min with all hops.

Yeah, with no adjunct grains of any kind, you're bound to have a very simple, clean beer. Even with my Bohemian Pilsner, I used a small amount of belgian aromatic and carapils malts.

Yeah, I am thinking that this would be good with like 1 lb of crystal 80L or so in it. Probably not true to style, but I care little for being true to a certain style.

cheezydemon said:
Yeah, I am thinking that this would be good with like 1 lb of crystal 80L or so in it. Probably not true to style, but I care little for being true to a certain style.

I like your style Cheezydemon.:mug:

Hey Cheez,

That's great for a first lager. Don't lose hope over thin flavor on your Helles. I think it may have been a little more tasty with just the Pilsner malt (no pale 2-row) and a little Munich malt. You could also add a little Carapils. Also, the ABV is a little low for the style. What was your OG and FG?

Back