WLP004 fast fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForestGroveBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with the Irish ale yeast WLP004? The first time I used it it was done in two days. Took gravity readings and it had reached 1.013. Racked to the secondary and it really cleared out. I had almost 1.5 inch of trub on the bottom of the carboy after 7 days. THe beer tasted great but I am still puzzled as why it fermented so quickly. Is that common with this strain?

I am trying it again and again it was done in two days. I left it in the fermenter another two days. By the time I had racked it into secondary the airlock was completely flat. Gravity was again 1.013.

Thanks in advance.

I know I'm resurrecting a zombie thread here, just I just had to comment that I just had a similar situation with 004 and an Irish red that went from OG 1.043 to 1.013 in just over 48 hours post pitch, one point shy of my prediction of 1.012 (which I'm sure it will eventually fall below). I had a large thick krausen the morning after pitching the yeast with a small vitality starter. Temperature has been a constant 62F to boot.

Beastly yeasties!

Back