Torque wrench for Blichmanns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent torque wrench for use on a Blichmann brewometer.. or in general?

Also what is the proper way of tightening.. wrench on outside and socket and torque wrench from the inside? I couldn't seem to find a socket big or deep enough to fit around the probe of the brewometer from the inside.. anyone know what should be used?

You really only need to be just a little tighter than hand tight for a weldless fitting. If your thinking in terms of torque, then you are thinking WAY more force than is needed.

A simple open ended wrench or even channel lock pliers work fine.

I just held the backing nut with pliers and gently tightened the thermometer side with an adjustable wrench. Nothing special, and no leaks.

MrShake said:
You really only need to be just a little tighter than hand tight for a weldless fitting. If your thinking in terms of torque, then you are thinking WAY more force than is needed.

A simple open ended wrench or even channel lock pliers work fine.

I think I read in the manual it should be 20lbs/ft and the ball valve should be 32lbs/ft. I'm guessing then it doesn't make much of a big deal then?

Back