Using the Blichmann Brewcommander on the Clawhammer 10 gallon system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewall

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with using the Blichmann Brewcommander on the Clawhammer 10 gallon system. Will the Brewcommander temperature probe fit inside the thermowell of the Clawhammer 10-gallon system? Any other advice on this hook up would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what size the thermowell is on the Clawhammer but I know the blichmann probe is 1/4" OD. You can buy a 1.5" TC x 1/4" compression fitting if it doesn't fit.

There's no reason you couldn't use the controller. It doesn't care what name is on the kettle.

Does anyone have experience with using the Blichmann Brewcommander on the Clawhammer 10 gallon system. Will the Brewcommander temperature probe fit inside the thermowell of the Clawhammer 10-gallon system? Any other advice on this hook up would be greatly appreciated.
The Blichmann Brew commander probe will only fit the Blichmann fitting. It is too fat for Thermowell's. I do not like the choice of the Brew commander fittings. They don't have a good 1/2 inch NPT option. The little weldless fitting they include with the unit has a tiny O ring which spits over time spilling berr all over the ground. The other thing is I tried a Inkbird probe in the Brew commander and it wouldn't even read it. Again, Blichmann plays by their own music and doesn't play well with others (systems). I know the Clawhammer controller is nice, but it is made by inkbird. If you search Inkbird 240V brew controller on Google, you will find one. With discount it is $470 bucks which is a considerable savings over the Clawhammer. I am guessing when Morebeer and other homebrew sites starts to sell these the price will come down considerably.

The Blichmann Brew commander probe will only fit the Blichmann fitting. It is too fat for Thermowell's. I do not like the choice of the Brew commander fittings. They don't have a good 1/2 inch NPT option. The little weldless fitting they include with the unit has a tiny O ring which spits over time spilling berr all over the ground. The other thing is I tried a Inkbird probe in the Brew commander and it wouldn't even read it. Again, Blichmann plays by their own music and doesn't play well with others (systems). I know the Clawhammer controller is nice, but it is made by inkbird. If you search Inkbird 240V brew controller on Google, you will find one. With discount it is $470 bucks which is a considerable savings over the Clawhammer. I am guessing when Morebeer and other homebrew sites starts to sell these the price will come down considerably.

When I build systems for a brew commander, I use different fittings for their probe. If the kettle has a TC port, I use a TC x 1/4" compression adapter. If it has welded NPT ports, I use a 1/2" male thread x 1/4" tube compression adapter. There are always ways to get a probe into a kettle in a reliable way. Many controllers use different temp sensing technologies and I would never rate a controller's functionality or value based on which probe they happen to use.

Latest posts

Back