Can co2 go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
I have a co2 tank with gas in it from about 15 years ago. Anyone know if it should be safe still? The tank is thinner and a little shorter than a scuba tank. I last used it to feed a kegerator that I built and since threw away.

I would think the gas should be fine (educated guess), but the tank probably needs to be hydro tested before it is refilled.

It should go bad if it is air tight. I see no reason the gas will go bad if it is sealed tight in the tank. I say just look very closely to the take to see if theres is any damages or rust or something that doesnt look right. So when you open it, nothing will happen

I think its safe. Unless the molecular structure has changed, it's still carbon with a pair of oxygen molecules.

I see now that I may have a tough time getting it filled. I think I got it filled last time at an industrial/ welding shop iirc.

So, take it to a place that swaps tanks. I just traded a #5 for a #10 today (only $20). Most places prefer to swap tanks and they don't care if the old tank needs hydro testing, they do them all the time.

I see now that I may have a tough time getting it filled. I think I got it filled last time at an industrial/ welding shop iirc.

Welding shops still fill them. The problem is that it needs to be re-tested (due to age) and they won't accept it for refill unless the stress test is run. It's not worth it since it (at least where I live) costs more than buying a new tank. Some places will allow you to exchange it though.

Latest posts

Back