Proper bottling techniques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Man

Reaction score
What do I need to do to bottle cider for storage when i am not using traditional bottling techniques? What should I be careful of?

What do you mean by:
when i am not using traditional bottling techniques?

I would think that it would be the same as bottling anything else, depending on whether you want sparkling cider or still. I if you are looking for still (uncarbonated) cider you may want to make sure that you use some campden and potasium sorbate to kill the yeast off, so you don't end up carbonating it.

You should make sure that you are following proper sanitation procedures and whatnot.

cheers

well I am way new to this and I was wondering stuff like how much air should be left in the bottle and such.

If you use a bottling wand, it will fill to the right amount of headspace. Just fill to the top and remove the wand, and it will be perfect. But, you said you weren't using tradition bottling techniques, so it's hard to answer!

Back