Lions Blood Red Ale fermenting vid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postban

Reaction score
Brewed this Wednesday

My 14yr old son, many time Assistant brewer, and his novice friend were on the mash paddle taking turns with stirring duty. Never used Kent Goldings before, very sweet smell, like candy. The color of the wort is deeeeeeep red, the extra 1lb of wheat did its job.

This is gonna end up around 5.5% abv and about 15 IBU so really low on the bitterness. Aside from the color it ought to be mild, crisp and easy drinking for all.
I used Kent Goldings hops at 5.5 alpha. Inspiration was the deep red color color and mass appeal, we'll see in a few weeks. Ought to be unique.

11# 2-row
4# Munich
4# 60L
2# German Wheat
1oz KG 60min
1oz GK 30min

will dryhop with 1oz more KG after primary is done

Pitched dry with SafAle S-05, vid is from yesterday, today the krausen is 2" thick on both of them and furious churning and bubbling, love this hobby
bubbler.gif

note on the cider next to it;
Been trying to perfect a sweet hard cider, 5g AJ, 2# bump of sugar, some yeast nutrient and a dose of Nottingham, getting real close to another favorite I think. It tops out around 7.5%, every tester so far has said WOW.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 ibu with that much crystal (2lb per 5 gallon)? i hope that brew attenuates really well or thats gunna be one cloyingly sweet beer

Krausen already dropping out after only 3 days, kinda surprised me. Gravity is down to 1.012 was expecting 5.5%, already 6+.
Flavor is a touch more bitter than a BMC with a little floral+candy nose.
About half the bite of a Sam Adams Boston Lager right now from the sip I tried and really, really red.
It will be for serving to "normal" beer drinkers that are not used to the hop bombs I normally like.
I will let it go the full two weeks in primary as planned.

Any thoughts on it now? How's it taste?

~M~

Had one for dinner with a new pasta bake the Mrs. came up with, delicious.
I has a bit of the English Ale bitter taste to it with a light floral nose from the cascade.
Color is deep reddish brown, head is tan colored and very thick with good lace.
Taste is a bit milder than I thought it would be but I like IPA+ for bitterness. It will be served to BMC types during the Superbowl party to show them a "dark beer" can be mild and enjoyable.

I would brew it again.

Back