Banana Bread Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
A friend of mine has wanted me to brew a beer for him for some time now. After some deliberation, we decided he wants a banana bread beer. I have had banana bread beer before and have an idea of what I want. I have seen some of the other recipes on here for banana bread beer, many don’t actually use banana, but I think I want to give that a try. So, here is my rough draft.

Estimated OG: 1.059
Estimated FG: 1.014
SRM: 13.5
IBU: 18.7

7.50lbs 2-row
2.25lbs- Munich
1.00lbs- toasted flaked oats
0.25lbs Biscuit Malt
0.25lbs C-120
0.25lbs Chocolate.

0.33oz Columbus @60
1.00oz Williamette @5

2.00lbs Banana to secondary (mashed and pasteurized)

My friend also wants a little vanilla and spice in it. So I am considering

1 crushed vanilla bean in 1/2cup vodka for 2wks, add to secondary
.25oz nutmeg or allspice at 5min in boil (never used either, so dosing is up in the air)

As far as yeast, I am torn between something clean and malty (London Ale Wyeast 1028) and something very clove and banana-like (most Belgian strains).

Other thoughts are trading out 2row for maris otter or golden promise.
Probably mash in a little high, around 155 or so.

I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks
Kyle

I've never made a banana bread beer, but I'd suggest the following:

vanilla bean: don't crush it, split it length wise, scrape all that stuff out of the middle of the bean, and add all of it to soak in vodka

yeast: hefe yeast, fermented on the warmer side of its limits

base grain: maris otter or golden promise to get that toasty/bready taste you're after.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

What about using the yeast to produce the banana smell? Open fermenting should enhance this attribute.

Using the belgian strains to produce the banana flavor/smell is something I am considering. However, I do want to use real banana in the recipe.

Latest posts

Back