Pots. Beginner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finigan4710

Reaction score
Hello I have a 12 quart pot and am having trouble finding a 24 quart pot... I'm brewing 5 gallons of beer. Could I just use 2 12 quart pots and split everything up? I have a scale to measure my grain and hops out to exactly half and half

Get at least a 28qt if you're looking to upgrade. You can do a full volume boil for a 5 gallon batch at that size. It's not fun, but it's doable.

Get the biggest pot you can afford, for a 5 gallon batch, full boil, I would go with at least an 8 gallon (32qt) or even a 10 gallon. With a 10 gallon pot and a voile curtain bag, you can move up to all grain batches with little to no extra expense using BIAB.

Here's what I would do. Go to a restaurant supply store near you and purchase a 7.5 gallon or bigger stock pot. They are high quality stainless steel at an awesome price. Buy a 1/2 stainless coupling, stainless ball valve and stainless nipple. Northern brewer has them for pretty cheap if you can't find them locally (search for weldless). Have a welder attach the coupling through the pot on the bottom. I paid about $50 for the coupling and weld. You could even add a temp probe if needed. I think I paid around $150 got the pot, weld and valves. My pot is really thick and had an extra thick bottom. Best money I could of spent.

This way you can do full boils and work with bigger recipes.

Back