Got it all into bottles, forgot to add priming sugar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
Forgot to add priming sugar solution to my bottling bucket before racking. Called around, doesn't sound like any place local has tabs.

I have some extra priming sugar laying around from a kit i haven't bottled yet.

How much should I put in each bottle? Seems like the general online consensus for this muck-up would be 1 teaspoon, but it's not ideal.

Or cap them anyway, order some tabs online and uncap/re-bottle later?

Is the beer in bottles already or just in the bottling bucket? If it's in the bucket, I'd just add sugar as normal and gently stir it with a sanitized spoon/spatula until it's mixed in. If it's in bottles, I'd probably recombine them into the bucket (gently) and prime as usual, but that's just me...

yupppp, done that one before. I udes a paper plate and used about 3/4 teaspoon sugar in each bottle. I used a little less jsut so they didn't explode on me and with 3/4 teaspoon they were still a touch overcarbed. Just make sure u swirl them after adding the sugar to get it into solution. it just sucks blowing threw that many bottle caps I know.

I would order the tabs and wait. No harm in letting it sit for a bit but if you try to prime with a tbs you will most likely be cleaning up a mess of broken glass and beer. Your tabs should arrive in a couple of days.

Thanks. Capped them all, then found out the local store had Cooper drops. Got those and some more caps. Will uncap and recap tomorrow while my next batch is mashing

Thanks for the help

I've done this. I dumped (gently poured) all the bottles into a spare keg and waited a week to try again. About 10 months later, I opened my last bottle to find that it was still very good. Not all is lost.

I don't know how much oxygen can get in during the recapping, but it might be worth looking into using the oxygen absorbing caps..

Just a thought.

bosco

Back