2 starters, 1 stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mo_feezy

Reaction score
I've got my first brew day in a while coming up. I want to split the batch into two 5 gallon batches, and pitch a different yeast into each. i've never done a starter before.

I only have one stirplate, and will use growlers to make the starters.

I haven't tried the growlers on the stirplate yet, but the bottoms seem pretty flat and it should work.

My question:
If I want to do this, should I make 1 starter and then put in the fridge while the second is on the plate?

I assume that this way I still can chill down the second starter to let the yeast settle out before I pitch on saturday.

I was thinking I would give the first starter a try on thursday eve (cold crash friday eve), and do the second starter on friday (cold crash saturday am). brew saturday.

how long should I let them out of the fridge before pitching?

Not sure it is the right way to do it but, I pull the starter out of the fridge as I start the brewing process, decant the wort off the top. Then place it in a sink with water to bring the yeast to room temperature while I am finishing the boil. I almost always have activity in under 8 hours.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely try to do that as well. I may do the first starter tonight and refrigerate it tomorrow evening when I make the second starter. That way the second will be in the fridge friday night and I will decant and set out before I start on saturday.

My typical brew day is usually 2 batches with 2 different types of yeast. I only have 1 stir plate and what I do is make starters in 2 different flasks each with its own stir bar and put one on the stir plate for a few hours and then whenever I go to check on my starters I swap them back and fourth to keep them stired. This process works very good for me I usually build the starter 1-2 days before brew day and never put it in the fridge just dump the entire starter and usually get good fermentation within 8-12hr.

good to know. That was the other option I considered. I may still do it this way so I can make the starters at the same time.

Latest posts

Back