Too much sugar/over carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ailstock

Reaction score
So I've bottled my Imperial Mango IPA, and being a drunk dummy I added way too much sugar to the priming solution for bottling.
Basically, they're over carbonated, volcano out with foam, and are disgustingly sweet.
Is there anything I can do with them, or is this batch just toast?

Some users are going to tell you a lor of things that can actually help you but I haven´t found a good way to aproach this myself. Only thing I can tell you is be carefull with bottle bombs.

How long have they been in the bottle and then how long in the fridge. You may be able to get them to stop gushing with a week or so in the fridge. If it is overly sweet are you sure you did not bottle too soon, what was the expected FG and what did you get???

Bottle bombs are an extreme possibility so use caution and put the bottles somewhere safe:) More info needed.........................

They've been in the bottle for 3 weeks or so.

I don't know the exact gravity but I know it's a 9%-10% ABV. They are currently just in my closet. Would putting them in the fridge calm the carbonation?
The biggest thing I'm worried about is hoping the sweetness goes away. Cause they smell mango/IPAlike but the taste is like strawberries with a pound of sugar.

They've been in the bottle for 3 weeks or so.

I don't know the exact gravity but I know it's a 9%-10% ABV. They are currently just in my closet. Would putting them in the fridge calm the carbonation?
The biggest thing I'm worried about is hoping the sweetness goes away. Cause they smell mango/IPAlike but the taste is like strawberries with a pound of sugar.

Well,, you wanted to brew a Mango IPA so you got what you wanted apparently and honestly, the too sweet issue is separate from the over carbonation, maybe....

Putting them in the fridge will force the CO2 back into the beer instead of just sitting in the head space of the bottle so give that a try with a few of the bottles for a week or so.

You list the ABV but you provide no info on OG or Fg, process of introducing the mango or anything else. I am still not 100% sure you didn't bottle too soon and if that's the case you have a bigger issue than over carbonation, you have continued fermentation going on in your bottles and most likely they may ultimately blow up-ouch

So I've bottled my Imperial Mango IPA, and being a drunk dummy I added way too much sugar to the priming solution for bottling.
Basically, they're over carbonated, volcano out with foam, and are disgustingly sweet.
Is there anything I can do with them, or is this batch just toast?

How much sugar did you use? What was the OG and FG? Are you sure the sweetness is not because of the recipe?

How long were they in the fridge before you opened one? Sometimes with highly carbed beers it can take a week or more in the fridge for the co2 to get absorbed by the beer. I often like to carb my Belgian Tripels pretty high and have to let them sit in the fridge for a week or two to get the carbonation into the beer or they want to gush.

I can't reply with the OG and FG at the moment cause I'm not home to check my notes.
It's going to make me sound stupid but I accidentally poured a pound of corn sugar into a cup of water. Realizing my mistake I didn't use the whole cup of water and just put a 'splash' into the beer.
The sweetness isn't from the recipe because I've brewed this before, but I keged and force carbonated it. This was the first time bottling it.
And I didn't put it the fridge before opening, but I'll put a couple in the fridge tonight and give it a couple weeks and see what happens to them.

So is it just a waiting game to see of the yeast can eat the sugar? (and hopefully not explode) or could I open all of them into a fermenter and let it re-ferment?

duboman said:
Well,, you wanted to brew a Mango IPA so you got what you wanted apparently and honestly, the too sweet issue is separate from the over carbonation, maybe....

Putting them in the fridge will force the CO2 back into the beer instead of just sitting in the head space of the bottle so give that a try with a few of the bottles for a week or so.

You list the ABV but you provide no info on OG or Fg, process of introducing the mango or anything else. I am still not 100% sure you didn't bottle too soon and if that's the case you have a bigger issue than over carbonation, you have continued fermentation going on in your bottles and most likely they may ultimately blow up-ouch

The mangos were introduced in secondary for a week.

Ailstock said:
The mangos were introduced in secondary for a week.

Thanks for the info, did you verify a stable gravity before bottling, if you did then the only issue is how your priming mistake plays Into thousand giving them some fridge time:)

I can't reply with the OG and FG at the moment cause I'm not home to check my notes.
It's going to make me sound stupid but I accidentally poured a pound of corn sugar into a cup of water. Realizing my mistake I didn't use the whole cup of water and just put a 'splash' into the beer.
The sweetness isn't from the recipe because I've brewed this before, but I keged and force carbonated it. This was the first time bottling it.
And I didn't put it the fridge before opening, but I'll put a couple in the fridge tonight and give it a couple weeks and see what happens to them.

So is it just a waiting game to see of the yeast can eat the sugar? (and hopefully not explode) or could I open all of them into a fermenter and let it re-ferment?

If you only used about 1/3 of it you are fine. Opening bottle conditioned beer that has not been in the fridge for some time almost assures gushers. Put a couple of bottles in the fridge for several days or even a week and report back.

I would consider uncapping them for 30 minutes or so. This will allow some time for excess CO2 to fizz off. Then re-cap them. I have done this several times with good results and no lost beer or bottle bombs.

NRS

Latest posts

Back