Can I cut hops to move them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paszekj

Reaction score
I planted some first-year hops this spring (Williamette, Cascade, Centennial) in large pots as there was a chance we may have to move. They are doing pretty well, some bines approaching 15 ft long. We ended up selling our house faster than I expected and have to move in a few weeks. To pull down the bines and transport them is going to be nearly impossible. I'm wondering if I can just cut them way back (nearly to the pot, sparing some leaves) and move the pots? My only real goal for this first year is to get the plants established and hopefully get them planted in the ground and produce some cones next year. Do you think it will it work to cut them back or would I run the risk of killing the plants? Thanks.

I planted some first-year hops this spring (Williamette, Cascade, Centennial) in large pots as there was a chance we may have to move. They are doing pretty well, some bines approaching 15 ft long. We ended up selling our house faster than I expected and have to move in a few weeks. To pull down the bines and transport them is going to be nearly impossible. I'm wondering if I can just cut them way back (nearly to the pot, sparing some leaves) and move the pots? My only real goal for this first year is to get the plants established and hopefully get them planted in the ground and produce some cones next year. Do you think it will it work to cut them back or would I run the risk of killing the plants? Thanks.

Cut 'em back all you want. They won't be killed by that. But don't expect much, if any harvest this year (sounds like you weren't anyway) and don't freak out if they play possum for a while and look sad and neglected before sending out new bines.

I don't expect any cones this year. I'll probably go ahead and do it now (as opposed to waiting a few weeks) and will hopefully still have time to get some growth in yet this year. Thanks.

I am in the same predicament and was just planning on dropping the twine with the bines on it and piling them up, then moving them and reattaching the twines at the new house. I used 12' black pipe with a t on the too, so I am just going to pound that into the ground at the new house and be done with it. I figure they will take that pretty easily. Also, mine are only 8' tall now and not too bushy yet.

Latest posts

Back