I am so sick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
My daughters asked me to take them to DQ tonight. As soon as we walked in, I saw these for sale ($1, proceeds go to charity.)

The only thing I could think of was "Can I ferment in that?"

ForumRunner_20120514_203529.jpg

Well... can I?
What's wrong with me?

Hhmmm, when I saw that you could have those for one dollar, I checked your location to see if it was close enough to me. So does that make me sick, too?

I have issues passing anything up that is being sold for a dollar. If it can be used for brewing I wouldn't have hesitated.

It's a ****ing DOLLAR.

Homercidal said:
No chill?

I don't understand the question.

They were still there today. The recycle code is 2, so they're good for fermenting. They appear to be 3 gallon containers, which is perfect since, more often than not, I brew 2.5 gallon batches. I'll check the volume later tonight when I clean them.

scurry64 said:
I don't understand the question.

They were still there today. The recycle code is 2, so they're good for fermenting. They appear to be 3 gallon containers, which is perfect since, more often than not, I brew 2.5 gallon batches. I'll check the volume later tonight when I clean them.

He's asking if they are rated for doing no-chill batches. Basically pouring boiling wort in and letting it cool on its own.

Are those square food-grade buckets on the left? Talk about great grain storage, assuming there are lids.

I guess I'm sick too.

It was for charity, Scrooge.

You are such a tightazz, if you pinched a penny between your buttcheeks, you could pop the wart on Lincoln's nose.

My neighbors have a big copper pot in their yard that they use as a planter......I shed a small tear every time I see it.

As long as they didn't have oil in them I would think they would work for a number of things.

whitehause said:
As long as they didn't have oil in them I would think they would work for a number of things.

There's the rub. They stored ice cream mix for the soft serve machine, which has a fairly high fat content. I'll have to wash them with Oxyclean several times before I am confident enough to ferment in them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

lou2row said:
It was for charity, Scrooge.

You are such a tightazz, if you pinched a penny between your buttcheeks, you could pop the wart on Lincoln's nose.

If I do that to the penny, can I still save it until my dying day? Otherwise, that's out if the question.

There's the rub. They stored ice cream mix for the soft serve machine, which has a fairly high fat content. I'll have to wash them with Oxyclean several times before I am confident enough to ferment in them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Wash them once and don't worry about it. The very tiny amount of fat that might remain after rinsing out will be cleaned easily by most any detergent. Just rinse well after you wash.

Back