adding maple to nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve2189

Reaction score
i want to add maple to a nut brown ale to make a maple nut brown ale what should i use to do this? maple syrup? maple extract?

Check out the recipe in my profile called "The Kings Nutz". This is an imperial brown ale with maple syrup. Without looking at my notes, I think I used around 12oz. of pure maple syrup. The problem is...maple syrup is pretty fermentable. Most of the flavor is lost, but you do get a little bit through. I love the beer, but if you're going for an over the top maple flavor, you may want to try an extract. You could also try using the maple syrup at bottling time to replace the priming sugar. This might leave you with a little more flavor.

I just used maple syrup in a Russian Imperial Stout. I added it right at the end of the boil. As suthrncomfrt said, it is really fermentable. My primary exploded. Make sure you use Grade B, it retains the maple flavor better than A. Some people add it to the secondary as well.

Back