Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebrew66

Reaction score
Hello all.

Just bottled my 2nd batch. Brewers Best American Light. Yeah, I know, why brew a light beer? To satisfy my SWMBO's taste, thus allowing me to continue brewing!

Ok, my question. First batch, Coopers IPA (not very tasty) had about 1/2" creamy yeast on the bottom. This batch had 1.5" of firm yeast. I did let it ferment for 3 weeks vs. 2 weeks. Is the larger amount of firmer yeast a product of letting it sit for the extra week and cleaning up, or because the kit had it's own hops thus more product to settle to the bottom? Is the additional yeast a sign of a better fermentation, or just nothing at all? The amount of hops could not have mad for that much more yeast volume.

Thanks.

If you didnt filter you have more settle.Or/and yeast was probably a highly flocculant type also. It makes sense also that more would settle over time.

The difference could be several things. You might have had a better hot/cold break on the second batch. The hops addition could be different or, and I think this is it, you had better yeast on the second batch that fermented and reproduced more.

Since every fermentation is different, yeast cakes are always different too.

Back