Metallic Taste - malt extract came in plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMoreBeers

Reaction score
I made an extract brew - Dortmunder Lager; the malt extract came in plastic jugs but i am tasting a bit of a metallic after taste. I bought the kit from Midwest. Anyone else have this trouble or is it just my taste buds?

Do supply houses sometimes "bottle" extract from cans? Am i tasting my cheap enamel coated brew pot - i have not had this taste before? Do i just need to go to the dentists?

Thanks for you thoughts.

The well known John Palmer says -

Metallic
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

Sounds like the cheap pot is to blame. Thankfully I am getting a new 10 gallon SS brew pot for my birthday this weekend. Just in time for the death of my original Meyers brew pot special - a $15 thin wall enamel special. Good buy old brew pot, you taught me well. Hello Future.

Back