Equipment Infection or too long in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebane90

Reaction score
I did a batch of American Lager a few months ago and I think it got some sort of infection. Well I just cracked a Red Ale that I brewed in July and I think it's infected as well.

These are the first batches that I've used a glass carboy for a secondary. Is it possible to leave a brew in a secondary for too long? Also, I know that we had some mold in the basement where the carboy has been sitting.

Also, is there a way to disinfect my gear (assuming that it is infected)? I've heard that I need to replace everything plastic, but everything I have is plastic. I can't afford to replace everything.

Thanks, all.

I boil my racking hose and some other stuff in some water(it will make it cloudy looking) I also use mild bleach in my buckets(rinse them well)

After about 25 batches in a year I had my first bad one in June. It was due to bad handling of washed yeast or from reading a post about using foil on a primary for a few days before adding an airlock. Either way, I won't be making those mistakes again.

It lead me to keep a closer eye on my equipment as I thought about a cause and I've noticed some rings on the necks of some of my bottles. They (the beers) all tasted good but I had been making mostly session beers and had not brewed for a couple months due to family life and have collected most of my bottles. I think that they'll all get the oxy-clean dump and rinse before being returned to circulation when I get back to brewing.

Back