Additives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobot

Reaction score
So I'm 4 batches into my 5-gallon extract hobby, and I have yet to use any of the additives that came with my kit. I got the "upgrade" kit because it came with a hydrometer, primarily. (Also, Palmer's book, said additives, wine thief..etc)
So if anyone can explain the following little bottles I have, and if they're even necessary, I would appreciate that.

Fermcap-s (stored in my fridge) "Add 2 drops per gallon at the start of fermentation"
Biofine Clear (stored in cupboard) "Use 1/4 tsp to 2 tblsp in 5 gallons after fermentation is complete"
Whirlfloc Tablets "Add 1 tablet per 5-10 gallons within last 15 min. of boil"

As I've said, I haven't used any of these, and If I don't need them, I sill have the book, thief, etc.
:cross:

Firmcap will keep your boil pot from foaming over, plus it'll keep your fermenter from going crazy .

Whilrfloc helps clarify your brew, I use both. :)

Rick

Fermcap is a product that reduces krausen height in the fermenter and boil over in the kettle.

Whirlfloc is a kettle fining. It's supposed to help all the trub from the boil gather into larger, easily strainable pieces.

The other one, I've never heard of.

Fermcap, to spite directions add it to your boil and it will help prevent boil over AND without adding any more will also help prevent blowout from excessive krausen. It will not effect head, head retention, or flavor.
Whirflock, add to the boil in the last 10 minutes or so to help make proteins coagulate resulting in a clearer brew.
Biofine, add after fermentation (usually in a secondary fermenter) to help make a clearer beer. Unflavored gelatin also works well.

Back