8% US saaz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCericola

Reaction score
Wasn't even thinking at the LHBS to check the alpha on the pack of hops before leaving, but I decided to check when I got home. The pack of US saaz has the alpha listed at 8.1% which seems high.

I'm guessing I should go by what's on the package but could this be a misprint?

I did a quick check and found out that the US Saaz has much higher AA% than the Czeck Saaz hops. The European version is usually 3% to 5% AA, but the US version seems to come in around 7% to 8%. I have also heard that the US Saaz has a harsher flavor to go with the higher AA percentage. I cannot verify this, since I have only used the Euro version, though.

I did a quick check and found out that the US Saaz has much higher AA% than the Czeck Saaz hops. The European version is usually 3% to 5% AA, but the US version seems to come in around 7% to 8%. I have also heard that the US Saaz has a harsher flavor to go with the higher AA percentage. I cannot verify this, since I have only used the Euro version, though.

Strange - HopUnion list US Saaz as 3.5-4.5. I'd imagine the company selling them would be somewhat up to date. I'll cut them down from 1/2 oz to 1/4 oz, and take it from there.

It depends on the location of the individual farm that grows the hops, weather, harvest time, year harvested, and so on. The information I saw mentioned that a late harvest in 2011 caused some US Saaz to have much higher AA% than expected. Since AA changes with all these variables, I would expect that the 8.1% listed on the package is likely to be accurate. It would probably be a good idea to update the AA of the hops in your brewing software to accomodate for this difference.

Back