Clear mead, cloudy top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistermustard

Reaction score
Greetings. I made a mead this February using 5 gallons water, 18 lbs. honey, and fermaid-k. Sorry, but I did not take gravity readings. I looked at the mead around thanksgiving, and the entire carboy was near to clearing except for a little cloudiness above the yeast cake. I decided that after christmas, it should be clear enough to rack into a secondary.

Today I looked at the mead, and it is amazingly clear, except for a layer of cloudiness at the top of the liquid level. When I looked at it a month ago, there did not appear to be this layer of cloudiness at the top of the carboy. I am extremely confused as to why this has occurred. The mead smells fine and tastes fine, but I am unsure if it is a good idea to transfer to a secondary with this layer of cloudiness present. I have not added any nutrients since brew day. Is there a reason I cannot think of to account for this top layer of cloudiness in my otherwise clear mead?

The mead has been in the primary for the last 10 months?

I would definitely rack to secondary. Depending on the yeast you chose, exposing the mead to the lees could give either desirable or undesirable flavor contributions.

Try to avoid sucking up the "cloud" if you can. It's probably yeast, or yeasty protein, nothing really to be worried about. Racking should actually eliminate that problem.
I had, I believe, a similar cloud in some of my mead, that still had a lot of sugar remaining. If I swirled the carboy around, it would dissipate, but would reform after a few hours. It didn't look like an infection, I smelled and tasted the batch and everything was fine. I racked the mead and the cloud went away.

Back