Lagering at higher temps due to dead fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burn

Reaction score
My first lager is turning into quite a headache. I followed the recipe in Homebrewer's Guide for the Budmillercoors style light lager, and brewed 10 gallons. I used wyeast 2000 Budvar for 5 gallons, and american lager 2035 for the other 5. I pitched the yeast at about 68 degrees and moved it straight to the fridge which was about 55 degrees. after a bout 2 days the fridges compressor went out and now I have it on the basement floor, with active high krausen. Is this beer going to be ok?
EDIT: the stick on therm reads about 70 to 72. (is it the number thats green on these or what?)

What's the temp?
as long as it's under 70F it should be fine, but it won't be a "lager"

You'll probably have a lot of sulphur, but that goes away. Try the wet towel & fan trick. The lower you can get the temp. the better.

Well, I got my compressor in my fridge back online, about 9 days into fermentaion (still krausening, yeast hasnt settled out. Do I throw it back in the fridge and start lowering temps? What should I do from here? I have been using the towel method and keeping the temp at roughly 66- 68 degrees. Someone had mentioned to me that I might want to do a Diacetyl rest, but from what I could tell I am roughly doing one now. Someone please explain a diacetyl rest a little better if you wouldn't mind.

Back