Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dest149

Reaction score
I am deciding which beer I should make for the first time. Are there some extract recipes that are harder than others? (i.e. lagering recipes). If I were to go the lagering route, I live in Miami. I imagine I would have to buy a mini-fridge to make it work out. Should I avoid doing this for my first time? Any specific suggestions to good beginner beers? I am usually like lighter beers something like budweiser, coors, corona, or heineken would be fine with me (not saying the two are similar).
My ultimate goal is to replicate a beer that I had in Munich that was the best I have ever had. They had been around since the 13th century and I am sure will not be easy and will take several years to get to that point. I went into where they stored the beers, they used wooden kegs, at cold temperatures which I imagine is lagering.

I recommend starting with something easy, like a simple pale ale. This will help you get down the process before starting with lagers.

I recommend starting with something easy, like a simple pale ale. This will help you get down the process before starting with lagers.

Is there any specific pale ale that you personally like that I can buy online? (same question to everybody as well)

In addition to strict temperature management and higher pitching rate, lagers also take a long, long time. If you start with low-gravity ales, you'll have a nice short cycle time to dial in your process.

Perhaps look into the Light Hybrid family of styles.

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! I ended up buying the NB deluxe kit with the american wheat ale recipe kit. It wasn't too expensive of a recipe and got good reviews. That EdWort recipe looked very good too. I will definitely try it once I get my technique down.

good luck and welcome to home brewing and i bet soon you will find yourself liking more types of beer, another nb kit to try is the honey wiezen kit it was delcious

Latest posts

Back