Carb in a twist top growler????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethwar

Reaction score
So i normally keg all of my beer however i brewed a pumpkin ale which i wanted to bottle. I started bottling today but then realized i was gonna run out of caps. I ended up with a half gallon extra so i filled a twist top growler. Normally i would just run to either of my LHBS to get more caps but of course the are closed til Tuesday. Do you think this will be fine or should i transfer after i can get some more caps? Thanks

It's normally recommended to NOT carb in growlers. They are normally not made to withstand that much pressure and may blow up!

If you're going to chance it, stick it in a cooler or something where the shrapnel can be contained (if it comes down to it!) and handle them carefully.

growlers are meant to transport pre-carbonated beer only. they are not meant to carbonATE a beer. the pressure requirements are quite different.

So now I have a dilemma.... I have my growler with the cap on tight sitting inside of a cooler at about 68 degrees. It has been there for about 24 hours now 1. Is it safe to go ahead and pull the cap or is it already pressurizing and could blow up in my face? 2. Could I still bottle and cap this beer tomorrow when I get caps and do I need to re add priming sugar

Update: I got some more caps so I went ahead and popped the top on the growler and bottled and capped some regular bottles. Hopefully I didn't lose any carbonation in the transfer. The beer was already fairly foamy. We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks. I couldn't stand to waste even 6 bottles of sweet pumpkin ale

Latest posts

Back