Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' - Extract Conversion HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoxad

Reaction score
Can you guys help me convert this all-grain recipe to extract? I would really like to brew this tomorrow.
Is there a piece of software that I can plug an all-grain recipe into and get an extract conversion?

Any suggestions or alternate recipes would be greatly appreciated. I would really like a Sumpin' Sumpin' Wild clone.

Here is the original thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-lagunitas-little-sumpin-sumpin-218399/

OG 1070
FG ?
IBUs 34.7
SRM 4.8

3.68kg US 2-row 50%
2.77kg wheat malt 37.6%
90g home toasted wheat malt 1.2%
830g torrified wheat 11.2%

Boil for 90min

11g Nugget 9%AA at 90min
2g Magnum 12%AA at 90min
2g Summit 17.5%AA at 90min
8g Willamete 5.2%AA at 45min
27g Santiam 5.6%AA at 15min
9g Willamete at 15min

24g Cascade dry hop
24g Centennial dry hop
24g Simcoe dry hop
24g Chinook dry hop
18g Amarillo dry hop
15g Columbus dry hop

WLP002

Mash at 150F

Pitch at 62F, raise to 68 after 36', then raise to 70F after another 36'.

Use your best judgement. I would be more concerned about yeast management than raw ingredients.

Little sumethin wild uses ale yeast and wild yeast cultures. Sadly the jerks at Lagunitas are not happy to share much info about ingredients. They think if people know it will make the brewery go belly up...

I personally think Lagunitas sucks. I'm sure whatever you brew will taste better than Lagunitas.

I am a novice brewer and have NO experience with doing this type of conversion or I would have "used my best judgement."
I would not be asking for help if I had a remote clue how to convert grains to malt extracts...

Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.

If I had to guess I'd say the Wild has WLP530 on it. Worst case is I'm wrong and your beer is good. I've made a bunch of good hoppy beers on that yeast.

Okay...relax...Use wheat malt extract instead of wheat. Wheat matl extract contains some additional two row in it for conversion properties.

Use the 3LBS pilsner malt extract and 3LBS wheat extract
Use the toasted wheat and torrified wheat

The yeast flavor will be the hardest variable to achieve. Many commercial breweries use the term wild when in fact they should point out that it was bought from a commercial lab like Wyeast or Whitelabs.

I don't know how you would create the same yeast character, not knowing how it was managed at Lagunitas. Perhaps you could use the same Belgian Yeast strain they used for Little SUmpethin...As far as I know the Little Sumethin Wild has a certain amount of commercially cultured "wild yeast"

True wild yeast is what god and the air provide...

Eric who posts all those recipes provides this link for you to do the conversions - All Grain to Extract Conversion | Brew Dudes

Lagunitas would seem to be one of the more forthcoming breweries around, evidenced by how much info they provide to CYBI. So if that makes them suck, we need more suckage. Not exactly sure why it is expected of breweries that they should provide the intellectual work product of their creations to the home brew world?

They have several fine beers IMO and LSS is a good one.

btw if you read that original LSS thread, my recipe with a warmer ferment will get you very close to LSW.

Thank you very much OldWorld, those tips are greatly appreciated!
I think I may stick to the English Ale yeast, but I totally agree with you that the "Wild" aspect of the beer would probably be better achieved with a Belgium yeast strain.

I will let everyone know how my wort tastes tomorrow if I can get all the ingredients at my LHB shop tomorrow.

I'm with you 100% on this one SAMC!
More suckage please!!

I was so surprised at how easy I could find multiple all-grain LSS recipes floating around the Internets.
Not to mention this: The Brewing Network.com - :

That is a very upstanding move on the breweries part if you ask me.
The brewery I work for would never withhold secrets. Its all about the craft and love for beer!

Thanks so much for your help!
I will be doing a 65-68 degree ferment (basement temps).

Am I misreading, or are you doing additions of 2 grams each of Magnum and Summit?

That is what the original recipe calls for. I posted the link to the original thread on the top of the forum. I am open to any suggestions if you can tell me otherwise.

The 2 gram additions are not needed, just go with one bittering hop. You can explain the small additions when you consider that they worked backwards from the brewery sized batches and they more than likely threw in full packages of whatever sized hops they deal with. No person alive could possibly discern the effects of 2g's each of those hops in the bitter phase.

Latest posts

Back