How do I know my serving pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAUK

Reaction score
I'm posting in the Beginners' forum instead of Bottling/Kegging because I get the impression that this is a newbie question, based on a cursory search there.

I've had a look at the carbonation table stickies there, but there is a huge range of pressures for each beer style. I've got an 5 gallons of an all extract Honey-Wheat (not pale enough to be a Belgian Wit, but I used Wyeast Belgian Witbier yeast) that I just kegged into a Sankey 1/4 bbl, blasted with 50 PSI (shaken, not stirred) for 24+ hours, and I've purged her down to 10 PSI at 35 deg F. I'm hoping she'll be nice and carbed in time for the 4th of July.

Thing is, having another look at the chart, "highly carbonated beers" are given a range from 11-24 PSI at 35*. That's a pretty extreme range of pressures. I plan to jack the pressure back up to 12 PSI, but should I aim more towards the middle, like 18 PSI?

I wouldn't go for any excess carbonation regardless of style, unless you have some way of pouring slower. 12 psi should make the pour manageable and the carbonation medium. If you want higher carbonation, you could leave it around 18 or 20 psi, then on the 4th you could bleed the pressure from the keg, set it to about 8, making it easier to pour, but still you might get some pretty active foam. trying to pour at 18 psi or more with a short line will be a major pain.

I wouldn't go for any excess carbonation regardless of style, unless you have some way of pouring slower. 12 psi should make the pour manageable and the carbonation medium. If you want higher carbonation, you could leave it around 18 or 20 psi, then on the 4th you could bleed the pressure from the keg, set it to about 8, making it easier to pour, but still you might get some pretty active foam. trying to pour at 18 psi or more with a short line will be a major pain.
Thanks Budzu, that gives me the impression that a fair bit of trial-and-error is involved with a fresh batch and a new kegerator. So, start off at the light end (11-12 PSI) and slowly notch it up to preference? That sound smart?

Back