Russian Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saq

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
3/4 of 2L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
1.021 est
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68f
Tasting Notes
pretty tasty wort
Grain Bill

12.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.00 %
1.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.50 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1.00 lb De-Bittered Black Malt (520.0 SRM) Grain 5.33 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.67 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.67 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.33 %

Hop Bill
1.00 oz Simcoe BYOB Pellet [11.90 %] (90 min) Hops 37.2 IBU
1.00 oz Pearle [6.10 %] (20 min) Hops 10.8 IBU

Misc
1.00 ct Servomyces (10 min)
6oz Ghiradelli Semisweet baking chocolate, melted with some Avery Mephistopheles stout (10 min)
8oz Arbuckle Mocha Java, lightly crushed in a grain bag (8 min)
1 Whirflock (5 min)

Mash Schedule
Mash-in 6g at 157f for 45 minutes, mash-out and sparge as usual. Used about 7.25g preboil volume, should have gone for 7.5-7.6g, I came up just a little short.
I took a half pound of the Arbuckle coffee, put them in a large plastic ziplock, and mashed them with a hammer until they were broken up well but not ground. This went in a grain bag in the boil at about 8 minutes and stayed in until the wort was getting cooled, so about 15 minutes total.
To make the chocolate I got some Ghiradelli semisweet baking squares, put them in a pot on low heat with about 4oz of Avery Mephistopheles stout that I was drinking. Melted it nice and thoroughly, scraped it into the kettle. Some of the leftovers tasted very good!

My efficiency was crap probably because I did a fairly coarse mill on about half of the grain, I should stick with a little bit tighter milling and sparge slower.

I'm going to see how this develops as it ferments, and probably do an additional cold brewed coffee infusion near bottling time if I don't feel like its up to snuff.

Sounds tasty, but the recipe database should be reserved for 'tried and true' recipes that you've brewed several times and perfected. Recipes in progress should be in the recipes/ingredients section.

Russian Breakfast, eh? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of both styles?

So I've started serving this beer recently. I decided to let it sit because initially it tasted like straight coffee, not something I am a fan of. So I put some bourbon oak in for a few weeks and then filtered it and let it sit until about 4 weeks ago and people have been raving about it.
I think its alright, a little intense on the coffee still, but its got a lot going on other than the coffee.
I just cracked open a Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout and this has a lot similar with that beer except the coffee is more intense. I think if you took this recipe and did a cold coffee addition you would have a ringer for Kentucky Breakfast Stout.

Latest posts

Back