Stupid mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jknapp12105

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast over 100 degrees. I F'd up. Haven't seen any activity for almost 20 hrs. I got inpatient. I know. What can I do to fix it? Buy more yeasts?

Recipe is an AG Belgian Blonde

Unless your wort was over 140 degrees you most likely only killed off some of the cells. Yeast actually thrive in temperatures a little over 100. Your beer won't like it but the yeast will:)

BTW, fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. Did you make a starter? Did you aerate the wort well? These things also contribute to the tart of fermentation. If you have not seen activity after 72 hours then you re-pitch.

duboman said:
Unless your wort was over 140 degrees you most likely only killed off some of the cells. Yeast actually thrive in temperatures a little over 100. Your beer won't like it but the yeast will:)

BTW, fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. Did you make a starter? Did you aerate the wort well? These things also contribute to the tart of fermentation. If you have not seen activity after 72 hours then you re-pitch.

Thanks a lot. That makes me feel better. The directions told me to let it sit out for 3-6 hrs, but I should have made one.
So if it doesn't work, just go buy some more yeasts?

DisturbdChemist said:
I say wait until 72 hours have past. If no activity just add more yeast. You beer is fine, the worst case is that you killed you yeast. RDWHAHB!;)

Thanks! It is pretty sad that the only thing I have to stress about is my home brew!

Back