weird taste in certain bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daum

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why a simple extract brew would taste way different in some bottles than others? I have had several bottles and brought some to a friends tonight but 2 of the 4 were not good, had some weird flavor. I used a bottling bucket and kept all the bottles in the same place...ideas?
Daum

Was it mixed well before bottling? That's usually where the differences with the bottles come in.

When I add priming sugar to the bottling bucket I usually give it a few slow stirs, bottle about 10-12 bottles, re-stir and repeat until they're all bottled. That usually keeps them all about the same.

perhaps the sugar wasn't mixed very well and some of them are more carbonated than others?

how long have they been in the bottles? there will always be variations before they are all finished...some may not be as conditioned as others.

Could be a few things:
sometimes even though you sanitize the bottles you dont get out all of the crap that has been growing in them. So perhaps your beer may not be infected but whatever chemicals there are in mold may still be inside when you bottle. Also make sure you rinse the bottles enough to get all the sanitizer out. Temp differences mabey a factor and the amount of air in the bottle can add to spoilage (don't splash!).

What kind of wierd flavour was it, was a a bad taste or just a strange one? Could be the way they were pored, were you careful not to disturb the yeast in the bottom?

Inadequate sanitizing is the most likely culprit. Make sure your bottles are meticulously clean as any debris will not get sanitized unless you autoclave your bottles. I inspect every bottle by holding it up to a bright light and turning it. Any dirty ones go into a bucket with bleach and soak for 24+ hours and then rinsed out, bottle brush if necessary. Note that bleach is an excellent cleaner if given sufficient time - debris will bubble away and fall off glass surfaces. Be sure to rinse your bottles REALLY well immediately after you pour your beer from them rather then letting them sit around for days (weeks!).

Probably was about how I was cleaining the bottles, only would soak them in bleach water for a matter of minutes.....unlucky, but a good thing to know for my next batch which i'll be bottling later this week.
Daum

Back