Mould!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olli

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm new to this forum.
I made 60L cider about 2 month ago with apples and pears which i juced through a juce maker. (I since built an apple grinder and working on a 8 tonne cider press).
My query is that a week after making the cider it started fermenting (naturally, no yeast added as i know it from my home in the sth. of germany). The fermentation was not as strong as i suspected it to be however the water in the airlock was pushed to one side for about 1 month which to me indicated that there must be pressure building up in the plastic barrel. But it also built a layer of green mould which started in tiny dots growing bigger. After 2 month some of the mold is still present as far as i can see through the white barrel.
I heard stories that it is a bad sign and also that it is normal. Should the mould eventually completely disappear? Would it be a result of making the juce with a juce maker? (i desinfected all tools, barrels etc beforehand).
Any advice would be appreciated.
Olli

I've never had mold on a batch of cider, but I always add yeast. By adding a commercial yeast (and dry ones work fine, so they don't cost much), you overwelm the wild stuff. You can also knock months off of the process. The crust formed by the yeast can look like mold, but I think you'll need to start over. Simple rule: If it smells bad it is bad.

Back