Day 10, sediment on bottom but not clearing up at all...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer is good

Reaction score
Hello, my beer has been in the carboy for 10 full days since brew day and there is sediment on the bottom but it is really not clearing up at all... is that normal? I feel like i have a jar of mud water or something! :confused:

Sediment is definately normal depending on how much you siphoned out of the boil... Whats the temp your fermenting at? What yeast? What recipee? How is it bubbling through the air lock? What was the starting gravity? What is the gravity now?

You should be ok to move to a secondary and wait a couple weeks if temps are normal..... But I'm by no means an expert....:mug:

Clarity is dependent on several factors. Look into "hot break," "cold break" and the use of clarifying agents like Irish moss and gypsum. But also keep in mind that cloudiness is purely a matter of appearance and will have no relationship to the flavor of your beer. Also, clarity always appears to improve once your beer is in a bottle or glass. In the carboy you are trying to look through about 18 inches of liquid with particulate suspended in it. In a bottle or glass, you will only be looking through maybe two inches. The appearance will be better.

Finally, if clarity above all else is important, you may think about lowering your own expectations. You can make a very clear beer with good technique and great patience but even your best will not be as clear as a commercial beer.

There are several products called finings that will clear up your beer. Polyclar, isenglass & gelatin are three of them. Typically, they take 2-3 days to act.

Looking through a carboy isn't like looking through a pint-glass. Your looking through a lot of liquid and it will definitely look dark despite being a light-colored beer.

Back