how long is it good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
I have a yeast cake sitting here with about 1/4" of beer still on it. I wanted to wash the yeast but just never got to it, now I am about to go out of town for several days and was wondering if it will still be viable at that point. How long do I have to get good viable yeast from washing? A couple days, a week, several weeks if kept at a good temp with liquid on it? Someone educate me.

I have a yeast cake sitting here with about 1/4" of beer still on it. I wanted to wash the yeast but just never got to it, now I am about to go out of town for several days and was wondering if it will still be viable at that point. How long do I have to get good viable yeast from washing? A couple days, a week, several weeks if kept at a good temp with liquid on it? Someone educate me.

If it were me, i'd wash the yeast and fridge it until you need it. I think there's a sticky somewhere on the forum w/ a walkthrough for washing yeast and you could probably find more information on the viability of yeast cakes elsewhere. I've never pitched straight onto a yeastcake per Jamil's advice.

As I recall, Orfy had a similar situation a while back. The general consensus was that as long as there was a layer of beer covering the yeast it would be fine. I don't remember whether he refrigerated the carboy or not. Probably not. I would, but that's just me.

Here are two threads discussing the same thing:
Yeast Cake...How Long?

Yeast washing - no time - Bad idea?

Chad

Back