Root Beer lacks body, any tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I tried the Gnome extract root beer mix tonight. I have the sweetness where I want it but both my wife and I agree it is lacking body or "feel." I did not add the 1 oz of dextrin the recipe calls for. Is that the ticket? Perhaps a touch more honey? Brown sugar? Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks. I figured as much. Was hoping someone had another ingredient that would do the same and save me a trip to the LHBS :)

My son made rootbeer all the time. He'd do either a 2L bottle, or a bunch of 16 ounce plastic bottles. it was really good- just sugar, the rootbeer extract, and the malto-dextrine, and of course yeast. One time he must have mis-read the amount of MD, because he made bottled rootbeer Jell-O. It sure had great body, though- like Jigglers!

Seriously, that IS what gives the root beer the body and mouthfeel. In the correct amount, you should really have great root beer!

How much dextrin would you use for a one gallon batch? I have some rootbeer extract, and am thinking of getting it going if I have enough bottles left over (tomorrow is my first Ale bottling day!)

Back