First Root Beet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
Just looking for tips and pointers more than anything else. I was at my local brew shop which has free homebrew soda samples. My wife was obsessed with the root beer, so I told the guy I was setup to keg and he sold me what do I need to do it...

He said the soda taints the lines and seals so to get a dedicated picnic tap and some new o-rings for the keg if I ever wanted to convert it back to a beer keg. Got both of those along with a root beer kit (basicly a small bottle of flavoring). He said I just add sugar to it, force carb it and I am good to go. It is the same exact setup they have in the store.

Here is where I am lost, I was reading that you need 40' of line to make it tasted carbonated... I see the setup they had in the store with my own eyes, was pumping though about 48" of you every day beer line, and it tasted great, fully carbed and full of bubbles, not foam either.

What did they do different? I really dont want to go buy 40' of line for this, I am just trying to do something fun for the wife, but I am sure it will wear off quickly and I can have me beer keg back haha..

I'm not entirely sure what they did. You would have to ask them. Report back if you do ask. I'd be curious as to THEIR method. There are a couple, non-complicated, options that I can think of - off hand - that come up rather frequently on this board.

1: carb at full 30-40 psi then reduce pressure to serving pressure 10-15 psi only when serving.

2: some sort or flow limiter, whether it be an elaborate, expensive flow regulator or a couple epoxy sticks in the dip tube.

Back