Time for pre-emptive burp and recap? Overprime and maybe other issues...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

replacement

Reaction score
Bottled my BB Russian Imperial Stout 1 week ago, checked 2 bottles today and had pretty severe gushers at room temp (but delicious!), put a few in the fridge to check over the coming days. This was actually my first homebrew, quick overview:

Went from O.G. 1.080 down to 1.025 after 8 months in a secondary on oak cubes. Initially was stuck at 1.030 but it moved that last bit while in the secondary, supposed to hit 1.017-1.020 so it still ended up a bit short.

I mistakenly overprimed a bit: by bottling time the total volume was down close to 4 gal (combination of not getting everything in the fermentor after initial boil, taking multiple samplings, spills learning to siphon, etc...) I still used the full priming sugar packet made for 5gal as it didn't occur to me to correct for volume until it was too late.

And just to further confuse things, I added an additional half pack of dry yeast (S04) to the bottling bucket, from what I read seemed like it couldn't hurt after 8 months in secondary and having experienced an early stall out - I was expecting carbing issues, not the other way around. Also added about 400ml of Makers Mark.

So again where I'm at now: it tastes great, but gushing after just one week worries me since most people say this took 3-4wks just to carb. I don't believe there's any infection issue but maybe a combination of overpriming (by 1/5... is that really enough to matter?) and continuing fermentation from adding some fresh dry yeast to a slightly high FG?

I'd really like to avoid bottle bombs, I'm wondering if I should just burp and recap everything now

Back