Post brew day question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonesSoda6

Reaction score
Brewed a big beer yesterday, 1.070. Kept the keggle in the garage covered due to frozen water spigots so no immersion chiller. We had started the us-05 rehydration that afternoon due to our expected finish time (oops). Aerated the wort with a drill and sterilized paint stir, pitched 1.5 packets of the rehydrated us-05 per 5 gal which the wort was at 54 degrees, took in to a cozy spot in the basement where it sits at 64 degrees. 36 hours later, no activity. Repitch tomorrow morning when the store opens? And is this a lost brew?

The yeast probably got a slow start at the 54F. Even at 64F us-05 is going to take a little while to get started. I'd be surprised if you don't see something tomorrow.

I agree that the low starting temperature probably delayed the start a lot. I would wait another 2 days at 64 degrees and if it hasn't started then raise the temperature a bit more.

I would guess the yeast went dormant at 54 degrees and would not start until the temperature got above 60. Even at 64 the fermentation will be slow.

I typically get a fermentation that lasts about 5-10 days when I ferment at 64 degrees.

Latest posts

Back