Dark Wheat and Protien rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FDillon00

Reaction score
I am starting out into the world of partial/all grain batches. I have a question about the protein rest. I plan to make an all grain Dunkel weizen that has uses Dark Wheat (full recipe, set-up, and planed steps bellow) and I read that Dark Wheat requires a protein rest.

Due my very simple set-up I would like to know if:
I can do the protein rest with just the dark wheat (1.25qt/lb) by itself then add the remainder of the grain bill? Then calculate the temperature needed to bring the whole thing up to the single rest stage temp.

(Not final recipe but close, I will have less barley and more White Wheat and German Pils in the final)

Grain: 7 lbs. Domestic 2-Row barley, 5 lbs. Wheat malt, 1 lb. Dark Wheat malt, 8 oz. Carapils, 8 oz. Caramel 40L, 2 oz. Roasted Barley, PH Stabilizer,

Set-up: Converted 5gal Igloo MLT( Using this Conversion method), 5 gal SS Kettle HLT, 9 gal SS Boil Kettle

Mash Plans: [all mash weights at 1.25 qt/lb]
1. 125 F Protein rest with ONLY Dark Wheat for 30 minutes
2. Add remainder of grain and add remainder of water at calculated temperature to bring to 155F and mash for 60-90 minutes (test with Iodine for done-ness)
3. Single Batch Sparge at 170F for 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back