Considering a kegerator - crossposting in DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odnetni

Reaction score
>Obligatory first post nonsense<

Hi! I'm starting to look at building myself a kegerator. Ideally I'd be able to fit one corny inside to begin with and have room for another down the road.

So I'm wondering what dimensions would be required. The fridge I've considered picking up from craigslist to start with is 18x18.5x32.5 - externally. The picture shows a freezer compartment, removable shelving, and some obtrusions from the plastic body. Can I remove things like the freezer compartment and plastic 'shell' and still expect the fridge to function correctly?

Lastly - and I haven't done much reading on the subject yet, so forgive me if this comes off as a silly question - but is a co2 tank normally held inside the body, or externally, connected through another hole drilled in the side?

Actually, probably the easiest way to ask what I want to know, is 'What dimensions do I need to look for in a minifridge to fit two corny kegs and the appropriate co2 tank?'
So thanks for your time. I love this place - it's great to be part of a community that shares knowledge so freely and willingly. Thanks!

>Obligatory first post nonsense<

Hi! I'm starting to look at building myself a kegerator. Ideally I'd be able to fit one corny inside to begin with and have room for another down the road.

So I'm wondering what dimensions would be required. The fridge I've considered picking up from craigslist to start with is 18x18.5x32.5 - externally. The picture shows a freezer compartment, removable shelving, and some obtrusions from the plastic body. Can I remove things like the freezer compartment and plastic 'shell' and still expect the fridge to function correctly?
Pin Lock Kegs are "about" 22-23" X9" diameter, but the conectors are big, and add a couple of inches. It varies, depending upon manufacturer.

Ball Lock Kegs are "about" 26" X8.5" diameter, and the connectors are smaller. Again, it varies.

Most mini fridges inside don't quite make it due to height constraints. You need exact measurements, unless it's one of the tall inside min-fridges that is sought after for kegerator conversions(like a Sanyo 4912?). You can't remove the freezer in most, as the cooler refrigerant goes through the freezer bottom, but there are some who have bent the crap out of them without breaking them and ruining the fridge.

I'd look seriously at a chest freezer. You turn it all the way down, then add a temperature controller to keep it at the 38F or so. Very low power consumption (pays for itself), lot's of space, and good temperature regulation.

>
Lastly - and I haven't done much reading on the subject yet, so forgive me if this comes off as a silly question - but is a co2 tank normally held inside the body, or externally, connected through another hole drilled in the side?
You can do it either way. Drilling through anything, you need to be sure you know exactly where the coolant goes. But check the exact dimensions of the CO2 tank AND the regulator. They vary somewhat, as well. You might get a 5 lb inside the mini-fridge with a big mini-fridge, but it'll be close.

Finally, read the sticky for making a kegerator. That'll get your juices flowing!

Rich

Latest posts

Back