good article on hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What an excellent article! I know a technique I'm going to try in my next batch!

B

It looks like my theories about late additions vs dry hopping were right! Thanks for the link! I love it when something I think up comes out this good. A vindication of sorts. I did that with the APA we're enjoying now. Got a few cases of it,& my wife's Krystallwit saved for the 4th.
What the late additions do is put the malt flavors in front,toned by some of the light bitterness of the aroma/flavor hops used. Quickly followed by the flavors of the hops themselves. Aromas are light,but present.
I've also noticed that,so far,the malt/hops flavors & aromas are improving with the o2 absorbing caps I used,rather than beginning to fade.
I'm saving that article for future reference & musing. Thanks again!

So if your first hop addition is at 20 minutes left in the boil, is there any reason to boil the traditional 60 minutes? In other words, can the entire boil be reduced to 20 minutes?

^ good question I say no as long as your water is adjusted and DMS is a non issue. Try it and let me know.
This technique looks expensive for an IPA. But it might be the only way to get that fresh hops in your face aroma.

My boil is a total of 25 minutes or so,from the time I dump half the DME in the boiling water to the time I take it off the heat for the 10 min hop steep addition. And since I use pre-hopped cooper's cans as a base,60 minutes isn't needed. I do hop additions at 20mins,10mins,& -10. After the steep,I add the remaining half of the dme,& the cooper's can.
I use all kinds of different dme's with the cooper's OS lager & OS draught with different hops to create something totally different from the original.
This is possible since cooper's Original Series have only a clean bittering addition with Pride of Ringwood hops. Their flavors aren't bad,but they (OS series),always seem to need some help. Sometimes I think Cooper's designed them to be experimented with,so folks would keep coming back.
Anyway,late hop additions are where IPA's & other styles with "hops on the back" get their flavor profiles from. Mine included.

A 60+ minute boil is good for creating hot break and making a clearer wort as well as eliminating the precursors to DMS

So if your first hop addition is at 20 minutes left in the boil, is there any reason to boil the traditional 60 minutes? In other words, can the entire boil be reduced to 20 minutes?

For AG you'll have to use enough water to get respectable efficiency. That has to be boiled off to meet the correct OG. They also mention this in their recipe:
While you could go with a shorter boil, the 90 minute boil enhances the blood-red color. It also adds a touch more melanoidin and caramel notes.

:mug:

I get a mini hot break without boiling it forever. The DME does this with me. I get very clear beer through patience,not just boiling. There's more to it that that. Of course,AG'rs have a few other things to consider,granted. But the article also proves what I figured out for myself. Late hopping gives more flavor,but also a little bittering if you use low AA% aroma/flavor hops. That's another reason this method works.
I get good malt profile,toned by a very small,but bright,bittering if I want it. Then all th hop flavors towards the back. Then the malt flavor comes around again. Don't sell cooper's short. You just gotta learn to work it. I'm basically taking what craigtube does,& running with it. He got me going again in the hobby.

could but the boil also helps concentrate the wort when we brew. I just did an american IPA and did a small FWH and then hopped the heck out of it in the last 20 minutes. I did 3 ounces at zero minutes

I get a mini hot break without boiling it forever. The DME does this with me. I get very clear beer through patience,not just boiling. There's more to it that that.

I certainly was not suggesting that boiling for longer times is the only way to get clear beer, only that it helps.

Back