can I use L18-30 receptacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I found a couple of L18-30 receptacles at a small re-use it shop. The exact model is Hubbell HBL2756. I looked it up and it says three-phase, 4 wire (non-grounding). I assume it will not work but just want to make sure

That configuration lacks a ground connection. Could you use it? Yes, you can make it work. Should you use it? IMHO, No. It wouldn't be safe if someone else needed to figure out what you were thinking when you wired it.

Let's say you win the lottery and take off to the new brewery you build on a Caribbean isle. If you have grounding conductors connected to a hot terminal and somebody else connects it to a 480V 3phase power supply (it's original intended purpose) then you could end up with metal parts of your brewery energized. Is that a likely scenario? Probably not. Is it worth the risk? That's your call.

Three phase non-grounded means all three legs are hot. You could wire it for a 2 pole 240V with ground connection but you also need the mating female socket to plug it into and you need to remember which wire you ran your safety ground on so you don't kill yourself.

Sounds risky to save a few bucks, ill pass on that plug

Back