Varnish/Sealing Keezer Frame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

Reaction score
My keezer will be in my garage. I live in Alabama, so of course the humidity reaches apocolyptic numbers. The garage wont be as humid as outside, but still higher than Id like.

I plan on staining and polying the outer wood of my keezer...but what about the frame? I have some spar varnish and Im debating on putting this on the frame members to protect it from warping.

Anyone do something similar?

I'd poly it. It's amazing how much moisture will find it's way inside a keezer. Even one that's pretty well sealed. I've spent hours trying to seal mine, but come July/August there's water everywhere.

Another option is to wrap the frame/insulation of the keezer with aluminum flashing and used silicon to seal off any seams. It does a pretty good job of keeping the moisture off of the internal frame.

Im thinking about adding a dehumidifier in there too. That should help a lot, but when the garage door opens, then its right back to 90%.

Back