First batch fermenting noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Provident14

Reaction score
Hello! Started my first batch fermenting yesterday. I used 100 oz martinelli 100% unfiltered non frozen apple juice and 48oz of apple raspberry old orchard frozen 100% concentrate (for the raspberry flavor). I'm making a 5 gal batch. Adding the 10# of sugar to the ingredients listed above and filling the rest with water I thought id taste the must before adding yeast, etc. Not surprisingly it tasted like sugar water with a slight apple flavor. Not surprising since it's 10# of sugar in a 5 gal bucket. I did expect there to be more apple flavor than there was. Can someone educate a noob as to what happens in terms of flavor in the fermenting process? Does the apple flavor get stronger in fermenting?

So less than a gallon of juice and 4 cans of concentrate in a 5 gallon batch?

In my concentrate wines I use 4 cans of concentrate per gallon. If adding sugar like you did then you can go with 2 cans of concentrate per gallon or go 100% juice with no water.

The apple flavor will not get stronger. Probably need more juice concentrate there to kick up the flavor. Let it ferment out. Once you rack a few times and let it clear. Stabilize with Camden and sorbate and back sweeten with concentrate to taste.

Back