Potential over priming - help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tybalt

Reaction score
Hey -

So I just made a stupid stupid mistake. I was brewing three batches at the same time and just started bottling yesterday. I used a cabornation guide to try to determine the exact amount of priming sugar to use (all the tables use fluid oz right??) based on temperature etc.

Anyway, long story short I mistakenly put 1.25 cups of priming sugar instead of .6 cups into 4.5 gallons of a lite summer ale
recipe:

I gave them a bit of extra room at the top while bottling - but am I at serious risk of exploding bottles?

Can I correct this by just drinking them sooner or should I still wait 2 weeks before chilling and drinking?

ideas? suggestions?
Thanks!!

Try one everyday until they are carbonated right (cool it and drink it just like a regular beer). Then put all of them in the fridge and get them cold to stop the yeast. I would leave them cold until you are able to drink them from that point on.

I'd give it a few days, but a week before checking might be stretching it and you might over-carb your beers. Better to start early and be sure, some yeast eats real quick and boom!!!!

Back