Sulfur and Nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jambafish

Reaction score
This is a kombucha issues, but I'm posting it here since more of you are familiar with brewing science.

I am making kombucha using a tea high in methionine and cystine. From what I can tell, these amino acids are breaking down and giving me a sulfur odor. It hadn't occurred to me until now that I could probably prevent this issue by adding nitrogen, but I'm both unsure how to get nitrogen without adding new yeast and whether this is a solution to the problem?

My yeast is S. Bouldarii and I made sure to add yeast fuel to the ferment.

I think what you are smelling is H2S hydrogen sulfide, I have never heard that adding nitrogen will take it out but maybe so....I know copper sometimes will take it out....I am somewhat lost on this one...usually in the wine world we will degass the wine if it has a sulfur problem, and if that doesn't work copper.....then if that doesn't work...well you are kinda in trouble...

Back