Hobgoblin... really?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
Every time I drink this beer I think, "Really?!" I'm always underwhelmed, bored, and a little regretful. Anyways, I have about 16oz left to go... wish me luck.

Ha! Ok, I'll play...

REALLY!!! Next to Boston Lager this was my gateway brew. I like it so much, it's my first Homebrew. Enjoying some as I type this in fact!

To your point, it is no longer my favorite but it will always have a special place on my pallet.

I haven't done a side-by-side yet but maybe my version is better :/ :ban:

I'm a big fan of hobgoblin. Classic english style, lots of flavor and easy drinking. What's not to love? I suppose if your tastes run to huge flavor explosion beers this might seem abit tame and its easy to get a pretty oxidized example. Otherwise I think its a fine example of the style.

To me, Hobgolin is *the* classic English brown ale. It holds a special place in my heart as the first "real" beer I ever enjoyed, but I make it a point to pick up a bottle of this any time that I can find it in stock (which, incidentally, it seems to be tough to keep on the shelf).

It's not a flavor explosion, sure, but that's not the style. Hobgoblin doesn't wow me like it once did, but I find it to be a very solid, enjoyable beer.

But hey, if you hate it, feel free to send any extra bottles my way for disposal.

As a matter of fact, I might just brew up a clone. I have a copy of what is supposed to be the actual recipe from one of the Wychwood brewmasters (given in an interview). I could "suffer" through two cases of this. :D

Yep. I don't like more extreme beers, myself... really bitter IPAs, really dark roasted stouts, etc just don't do it for me. Others view my statements there as sacriledge.

Hobgoblin gets an 85 by the BeerAdvocate community, a 91 by their critics. considering that BeerAdvocate tends to hate brown ales, bitters, etc due to a massive love affair with the more extreme beers... I'd say this beer stacks up pretty well.

But OP, seriously just drink what you like. If you don't like Hobgoblin, why buy it?

homebrewdad said:
As a matter of fact, I might just brew up a clone. I have a copy of what is supposed to be the actual recipe from one of the Wychwood brewmasters (given in an interview). I could "suffer" through two cases of this. :D

Mind sharing? I'd love to have the real deal!

Mind sharing? I'd love to have the real deal!

Absolutely. Let me get it formatted up. I have everything in grams. I'm sticking it in Beersmith now and converting down from the odd batch size. I'll post it after I get that done.

Edit: posted on page two of this thread, post #11.

Okay, here's what I have. This came from an interview that Jamil Zainasheff did with Wychwood Head Brewer Jeff Drew.

Please note that some of the values that Drew's recipe states do not agree with what I get in Beersmith (namely, the color I get is slightly lighter, and I show noticeably more IBUs).

Also, pleae note that I have adjusted the batch size to 5.5 gallons with a 74% efficiency. Your equipment may vary. :)

OG: 1.046
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.5% (Drew says 5.2%, I don't see how)
SRM: 14.9 (Drew says 15.5)
IBU: 37 (Drew says 24-26)

Grains:
8lb 2.2 oz Maris Otter
12 oz Crystal 80L (Drew calls for Crystal 75, so I subbed)
3.4 oz UK Chocolate Malt
.6 oz cane sugar

Hops:
.46 oz Kent Goldings (4.75% AA) @ 60 minutes
.46 oz Fuggles (5% AA) @ 60 minutes
.52 oz Cascade (5.75% AA) @ 15 minutes
2.08 oz Styrian Goldings (5.25% AA) @ 15 minutes

Yeast: WLP023 Burton Ale

Mash at 153 degrees F for 60 minutes

Ferment at 61 degrees F rising to 68 degrees F for three days. Then reduce temp down to 46 degrees F.

Please note that the recipe does not state how long to hold it at 46 degrees. I'm assuming that this should be handled as a quasi lagering; I plan to do this for a few weeks. Any thoughts?

Carbonation level is not provided. If trying to stay true to the original, I'm thinking that you want this one on the lower side.

There you have it. I'd love to know what some of the real vets think about this recipe.

Interesting this came alive 3 months after imposter it... drunk. Either way, I've only had Hobgoblin twice, from the same craft beer bar, and both times it tasted old, which I'm curious about now. They carry it at my local BevMo, I think I'll buy a bottle and try it again!

question about the recipe posted earlier.
.6 oz of cane sugar? that doesn't sound like enough to do anything. is the . supposed to be there?

Yep, the .6 is supposed to be there. The original recipe called for 20 grams in a 6 gallon batch.

20 grams = ~.7 ounces. Scaled down to my 5.5 gallon recipe, you're looking at ~.6 ounces.

Good luck, Brulosopher. You just might not like Hobgoblin. Hopefully, though, you just got some old bottles in the past.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing then recipe. I loved Hobgoblin when I had it in London a decade ago; haven't had one in years. Maybe it's time to brew some up. :)

Thanks homebrewdad, I will try that recipe next time I brew the hobgoblin.

Brulosopher said:
Interesting this came alive 3 months after imposter it... drunk. Either way, I've only had Hobgoblin twice, from the same craft beer bar, and both times it tasted old, which I'm curious about now. They carry it at my local BevMo, I think I'll buy a bottle and try it again!

Ha! Yeah, I was looking at your threads for yeast washing and I saw this one. No way I was letting it go!

Hey OP, I just cracked open a 16.9 ounce Hobgoblin. Just what I was expecting... a really quality beer.

The only possible "flaw" I can pick out is that the body is a bit watery. But really, this just makes it sessionable.

Hobgoblin has a unique flavor that I haven't picked out of any other brown. Nice stuff.

Hey OP, I just cracked open a 16.9 ounce Hobgoblin. Just what I was expecting... a really quality beer.

The only possible "flaw" I can pick out is that the body is a bit watery. But really, this just makes it sessionable.

Hobgoblin has a unique flavor that I haven't picked out of any other brown. Nice stuff.

Watery is definitely something I experience with this beer! We'll see what I get next time I try it ;)

Back