Apples from the tree wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfbayarea

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an apple tree in my backyard, I don't know what kind these apples are, but they are definitely sweet when they are ripe. I have looked through some of the recipes, but still have few questions.

Choices I have:
1. Put these apples through a juice and derive pure juice from them?
2. Cut them and freeze them and then unfreeze and cover with boiling water?
Which method will produce better results?

Per gal ingridients:
1. I'v read that I need 6lb of apples per gallon of wine if I cut them and freeze them. Is that right?
2. If choose juicer method, how much juice I need and how much water for 1 gal?

What about sugar, how much sugar will you suggest? I like sweet, almost desert wines.

Thanks.

Just a note of warning. I've been trying wild apples and getting mosly bad results. With that said. You would be nuts NOT to try once.
Just juice it, either with a juicer or a blender and press. I once juiced apples with two wood clamps, two cutting boards, cheese cloth and a large ziplock bag with a hole punched in the corner. It wasn't very efficient but produced a gallon or two.
Can't say how many apples you will need. If you have the tree then just pick and press until you have your gallon.
Find a recipe and use that much sugar.
I'm not certain what the second #2 means but you will not want to add water to your juice.

I wouldn't use either. If you don't have a press, I suggest freezing them, and then letting them thaw in mesh bags in the primary. Use campden tablets, and some pectic enzyme, and start fermentation. Within 5 days, the apples will be nothing but pulp, and you can sanitize your hands and pull out the mesh bags and squeeze.

I've been making apple wine and crabapple wine for years this way- and an award-winning crabapple wine at that!

My crabapple wine recipe is posted under my avatar, on the left, in the "recipes" pulldown. The procedure is the same for apples, or for crabapples, and I've done them both the same way.

I wouldn't use either. If you don't have a press, I suggest freezing them, and then letting them thaw in mesh bags in the primary. Use campden tablets, and some pectic enzyme, and start fermentation. Within 5 days, the apples will be nothing but pulp, and you can sanitize your hands and pull out the mesh bags and squeeze.

I've been making apple wine and crabapple wine for years this way- and an award-winning crabapple wine at that!

My crabapple wine recipe is posted under my avatar, on the left, in the "recipes" pulldown. The procedure is the same for apples, or for crabapples, and I've done them both the same way.

Thank you.

What sugar amount would you suggest to come up with strong yet sweet wine?

Thank you.

What sugar amount would you suggest to come up with strong yet sweet wine?

Well, there are two ways to go about it. One way is to start with a must of 1.085 and allow it to ferment dry. Stabilize, and then sweeten to taste. That will give a 13% ABV wine. If you do the same, but start at 1.100 and use champagne yeast, that will give a 16% wine.

Others will incrementally feed a fermentation with more sugar, until the yeast die off from alcohol poisoning. That sometimes works well, and sometimes doesn't. It's not dependable, so it may vary from a 11% sweet wine to a 18% hot rocket fuel.

The thing is, apple wine doesn't taste very good above about 14%. It gets hot, and less fruity and loses all hints of fruitiness and subtle flavors.

I'd go with a 12% apple wine, and then sweeten to taste.

Well, there are two ways to go about it. One way is to start with a must of 1.085 and allow it to ferment dry. Stabilize, and then sweeten to taste. That will give a 13% ABV wine. If you do the same, but start at 1.100 and use champagne yeast, that will give a 16% wine.

Others will incrementally feed a fermentation with more sugar, until the yeast die off from alcohol poisoning. That sometimes works well, and sometimes doesn't. It's not dependable, so it may vary from a 11% sweet wine to a 18% hot rocket fuel.

The thing is, apple wine doesn't taste very good above about 14%. It gets hot, and less fruity and loses all hints of fruitiness and subtle flavors.

I'd go with a 12% apple wine, and then sweeten to taste.

Thank you.

Back