flanders red not very sour after almost 6 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I brewed a flander's red back almost 7 months ago now. I have kept it fairly steady temperature over the past few months around 66-72.
I did a 10g batch from the below recipe. I fermented it in a 6.5g glass carboy, then after 6 months transfered to 5g carboy and have let it sit since then. I have tasted it about every 2-3 months. Last time I tasted it, it was quite sweet still and very very very lightly sour. Body was fairly light. I would expect it to be much more sour by this stage in the game, but this would be my first sour I have brewed so...
I brewed both in a 6.5g glass carboy. Pitched 1 with us-05 first then after 4 days threw in Rosalare. The half I pitched rosalare right off the bat.
Anyways, when I transfered the beer to 5g carboys, I threw in some maltodextrin (4-5oz in each carboy). Should I expect it to start souring more quickly the longer it sits in there or should I have already a lot of the sour flavors already?

OG: 1.055
FG so far: 1.014
IBUs: 28

8.3lbs Vienna
7.5 lbs pilsner
5lbs munich
1lb flaked wheat
1lb special b
1lb caramunich
1lb aromatic
1lb sugar in about a week after pitching yeast.

HOPs
4.25 oz Hallertaar 4% 60m
Mashed at 155

I am guessing I might have to blend this anyways, should i expect this change a lot over the next 6 months - 1 year? Is this normal?
I just rebrewed roughly the same recipe but dropped the IBUs down to about 15 IBUs for the recipe and pitched onto the yeast cakes.
Thanks for any feedback and info!

Definitely give it more time. At 1.014 I think it will still drop a few points. If you really want to enhance the sour flavors, you can also add some bottle dregs from your favorite beers. That too, will take time to work.

Definitely give it more time. At 1.014 I think it will still drop a few points. If you really want to enhance the sour flavors, you can also add some bottle dregs from your favorite beers. That too, will take time to work.

I actually did that with one of them. I added dregs from a cantillon and 2 RR bottles. Didn't taste much difference between the batches yet and I pitched those in probably 4-5 months ago now. I guess I'll give it a lot more time and just continue to see how it progresses.

In my experience, and the more substantial experience of others, Roesalare is slow to sour on pitch #1. First time I used it, I noticed significant changes between months 12-18. Subsequent re-pitches don't need quite as long, but in IMHO it really is worth the wait on the first pitch.

In my experience, and the more substantial experience of others, Roesalare is slow to sour on pitch #1. First time I used it, I noticed significant changes between months 12-18. Subsequent re-pitches don't need quite as long, but in IMHO it really is worth the wait on the first pitch.

Ok, cool, good to know! I don't mind waiting, just wondering!
Thanks!

I'm in a similar boat. I've got a flanders red that's going on 11 months and an experimental sour ginger wheat that's going on 9, both on roesalare. They both have very little if any sourness to them.

I'm probably going to be adding 4-8 oz of maltodextrin kick them up a notch. I'll probably add some dregs if I drink something, and am considering pitching roesalare again, but I think the bugs are probably there just dormant.

Never brewed a sour but I've been reading up for a while, certainly there are posters better equipped to answer but I'll try to help.
Your IBUs may have been too high for the lacto to survive. Although the sherry yeast and pedio will lend sourness also, I believe they work on a much slower timeframe. Let it ride longer?

Latest posts

Back