geletin Not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
tried it. knox 1oz 6oz water boiled then cooled then added pack , heated in microwave carefull not to boil added to carboy nothing happened after 3 days , 2nd attempt , same thing this time took it to 160 degree 4 times with thermometer , again nothing after 3 days when i racked my brew ther was not even any jelled material at the bottom . what did I do wrong.

You need to cold-crash when clarifying with gelatin. If your fermentor won't fit in your fridge you can put it in a large bucket or tub and pack it with ice. Boiling does not denature gelatin.

+1 to what Capt Damage said

think about when you make jello (name brand for gelatin) it wont do anything for you until its put in fridge. you must cold crash to get this to work.

yes I did , It was cold crashed 3 days prior.And I did check the fridge temp & lowered to 34. for second attempt

Is your beer crisp and clear? That's about the only difference I notice after gelatin; I've never had a layer of jello at the bottom.

I never saw it get clear in the carboy. I could not see my hand though carboy

tried it. knox 1oz 6oz water boiled then cooled then added pack , heated in microwave carefull not to boil added to carboy nothing happened after 3 days , 2nd attempt , same thing this time took it to 160 degree 4 times with thermometer , again nothing after 3 days when i racked my brew ther was not even any jelled material at the bottom . what did I do wrong.

You will not see jelled material!!! If you do, you did it wrong. When you add it to the beer it becomes too dilute to interact with it's fellow gelatin molecules and for a gel. However, it will bind to lots of other things in the beer, and as a gelatin molecule binds more and more stuff (like yeast) it eventually gets large enough and will settle out. As others have said, this is more efficient at colder temperatures, but it does still work at warmer temps, it just takes longer.

I actually prefer to add it to non-chilled beer, and then chill it afterwards. It works as a two step process, binding to stuff, and then settling. The binding actually works faster at warmer temperatures, but the settling works better at colder temperatures

Gelatin doesn't clear everything. If you have suspended starch or didn't get a good hot/cold break, it can remain cloudy.

Back