Sam Adams- Imperial White?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syd138

Reaction score
Anyone had this? I saw it at the store the other day.. a Belgian Wit Beer with an abv of 10%.

Doesn't seem like a style of beer that could handle an abv that high.

It's probably more like a strong with some coriander and orange zest. I've had something similar on tap and it was very good! That said, we're talking about Sam Adams, who sometimes thinks outside the box. Some of their stuff is not good.

Im generally not a huge fan of their stuff.. but this does sound interesting.

Maybe kind of like a Fin Du Monde but with coriander and orange?

It had the standard witbier notes of corriander and orange, but was way too sweet from them trying to kick up the ABV. Imagine a syrupy version of Blue Moon, too sweet and lacking that famous crispness. I didn't really care for it.

I have a couple bottles in my fridge which I bought about 5 months ago, right when they came out (we live a couple blocks from the brewery). It's a good beer, but it seems pretty far from a wit. The coriander and bitter orange are not very strong flavors and it feels like it was not brewed with a traditional wit yeast, rather something they thought was close enough that could handle the 10% abv.

So I tried this the other day.

Doesn't taste a bit like a Wit Bier.. but it wasn't too bad.

Almost more like a Trippel.. had a bite to it, but decently malty.

Got my moneys worth

I tried to make something like that a while ago but i failed. If its actually any good I'm gonna have to get some

Back